Monday, December 8, 2008

Embracing Winter

Training in the winter can be a chore and just plain miserable. That is, unless you learn to "embrace" winter and appreciate the positive things it brings to trail running. First off, unshoveled sidewalks and shoulders become 'trails' because of snow's shock-absorbing qualities. No longer are road runs so harsh on the knees and body. Secondly, no more rain-outs due to thunderstorms or heavy downpours. Third, running in the snow is a tougher workout than running on dirt. It's much like running in sand, strengthening your feet and calves, while also working your back and hips for maintaining your balance.

Therefore, with this new attitude towards winter I've been hitting the snowy sidewalks and trails twice a week for 2 hours at a time. I've also discovered some new trails that will be great to run in the spring and summer as well. In sum, I've really been enjoying running this winter more than ever before and I hope to be in better shape this March than I was last year. Most importantly, I've been consistent in my training because of my take on winter running. I hope y'all out there are pounding the 'powder' like me with a big smile on your face. Let's face it, winter isn't going away anytime soon, so you might as well learn to love it! Happy trails!

No comments: