Tuesday, January 20, 2009

When the Going Gets Cold...............

......the AHU wannabes get testing! Last week's sub-zero temps were a great opportunity to test gear in preparation for 2010's AHU. My last test during the "bootcamp" indicated my outerlayer REI One jacket a bit too warm for temps between 10 to 20F. So, I went out for a run at -10F and the result was the same........still too warm. Other than that, the rest of my gear worked great and kept me comfortable. I definitely need some goggles or eyewear to keep the icicles off of my eyelashes.

Surprisingly enough, I miss the colder temps, now that the warmer near-freezing temps have arrived. The temps around zero kept the snow crisp and firm, making for good footing. Now we have wet and slippery slush. Blech! Next test will be my new Black Diamond poles. The plan is to take the sled out this weekend and put some more AHU-like miles in. Where I'll do that, I'm not sure yet. I recon'd my river valley trail yesterday and it was a bit rough. Perhaps I'll check out The Murph's trails to see if they're any better. Either way, I can't wait to get the sled out and give'er hell!

Until next time, see ya on the trails!

3 comments:

brothergrub said...

brrrrrrrr...

Mitch R. said...

You will find this AHU stuff to be very addictive.

Steve said...

Love the blog name, Mitch! Yeah, I'm an AHU junkie now. Time to go romp and stomp in the snow!!