Thursday, September 10, 2009

Last Minute Post - Thanks and Dedication

Just a quick post before I head out later this morning for Duluth to tackle the formidable Superior Sawtooth 100 tomorrow. First off, a note of thanks to those who've been so supportive of my ultrarunning and getting me to this point.

Thanks to my father, who has been there for me since I started running way back in junior high. His role has changed from coach to cheerleader, but his support is still extremely valuable. Thanks Dad.

Thanks to my wife of 16 years (as of tomorrow!) who puts up with my crazy training and running schedules, as well as my constant desire for more gear. Happy anniversary and I love ya, babe!

Thanks to my buddy, Mitch, who inspires me to push myself and always has something motivating to say to me before each race. Mitch, you da man!

Lastly, thanks to my bro, Kevin, who has been one of my best friends throughout my life and someone whom I greatly admire, both on and off the racecourse. Kev, you're the best!

Before I sign off, I want to make a race dedication. Yeah, I know it sounds cheesey, but there's someone out there who also has been and inspiration and of whom I've been thinking about in particular when it comes to this race. His name is Phil Robertson, an ultrarunner from Otley, West Yorkshire (England) whose blog I regularly follow (Check out "Head for the Hills" in my Good Reading on the Blogosphere). Phil has always wanted to run the Tour du Mont Blanc in France, which is a hugely popular ultra in Europe and hard to get into. Well, this year Phil got his chance. He trained hard for it, only to be derailed by a knee injury. Needless to say, he was crushed, and I felt his pain. For me, running Superior Sawtooth has been one of my "dream" races since I started running ultras. Last year it didn't happen due to lack of funds, and almost didn't happen again for the same reason. Right now, I feel so fortunate to be healthy and getting to run a race I've always wanted to. So, this race is for you, Phil. I hope your recovery is going well and you get back on the trails soon so that you can experience one of your "Races and Runs I'd Like to Do Someday".

With that, it's time to sign out, shower, have a nice breakfast with my family, and head north to Duluth. See ya on the trails!

1 comment:

Julie B said...

I hope it went well for you out there in the Sawtooth woods, Steve! Can't wait to hear the report.