Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Goal Without a Plan is Just a Wish

"A goal without a plan is just a wish" - so said Antoine de Sainte-Exupery, French writer and aviator. Ever since failing at 77 miles into the Superior Sawtooth 100-mile footrace in 2009, my goal has been to return to the North Shore and complete all 102+ rugged and grueling miles. 49 weeks later, I write this post, prepared to achieve this.

Despite injury, financial setbacks, and working two jobs, I've followed a plan to earn the coveted red jacket of the Superior Sawtooth race. Unable to run at all for 6 weeks, and taking and additional 6 weeks to work up to mostly walking 20 miles, I've continued to train and prepare for this challenge. Over the course of the year I have embraced and mastered patience on the trails. This patience will be my strongest ally during the long hours and miles on the Superior Hiking Trail this September. I've put in more long runs of 20+ miles than any previous year by a large margin and have dialed in my hydration and nutrition. Over the course of 2 weekends the past couple of months I've recon-run 70+ miles of the SHT.

I have a plan and I am ready. To the Superior Sawtooth 100 I say, "BRING IT!"

Still seeing red..................................

4 comments:

Londell said...

If all works well, I will get up there to cheer and support so many people. I will pray for a success as I to stopped at 77 in 2008 and never made it back.

SteveQ said...

You've made a great comeback already. Hope to see you somewhere along the course.

brothergrub said...

You are all in! Get some big bro!

Matthew Patten said...

I think you should run the "Naked 10K" as a tune up race.

I know course record holder is dying to better his time.