Monday, March 24, 2008

Duh-oh!

Okay, I pulled a total Homer Simpson last Tuesday night. I was walking around the house barefoot (with socks on), as usual, when I decided it would be a grand idea to kick the corner of the wall with my right foot. Now, I've done this before and it only has resulted in some brief profanity, followed by some temporary discomfort. However, this time I really smacked it good. By bedtime it was still hurting and I pulled off my sock, only to see that my toe was swollen and dark red. Oof! I iced and elevated it for a while before going to sleep. The next morning it still was extremely tender to the touch. Nonetheless, I attempted to go for my 4 am run which lasted a whole quarter mile before sensibility took over. Now, I don't know if I broke it or not, but I'm assuming I must not have since it didn't continuously throb. However, it did take several days for the pain to go away and I still have an odd bruise that looks like a line going from my nail and across the toe knuckle. Anyway, I went for a run this morning and the toe was pain-free, so I'm assuming all is good and back to normal.

Switching gears, I have to give a hearty "Congrats!" to my brother who ran his first ultra this past Saturday at the Oak Mountain Ultra in Alabama. He finished the approximately 33-mile and very hilly/mountainous course in 5:47+ for an overall 18th place finish. Way to go, bro! I know it was tough for him to not try to race, as he used to be one of the top distance runners in Wisconsin before "retiring" from running due to an Achilles tendon injury. But, he kept his cool and paced himself, walking when needed to get his first ultra under his belt. Only 4 weeks until my first ultra at the Trail Mix! I can't wait!!

Monday - 4.4 in 40:44
Tuesday - 8.8 in 1:23:20
Wednesday through Sunday - R&R from toe injury (boooo!)

No comments: